How to come up with a job title without directories
The recommendations in this article will help you solve this problem. They are partly taken from regulatory documents, partly from work practice.
Job titles can be basic and derivative; it is necessary to correctly use complementary words in derived titles. Also, there are special words that are commonly used in job titles.
Always remember the basic principle of choosing a job title – the title of the job should correspond to the content of the work being performed. Following this principle and understanding the logic of the formation of job titles, it is not difficult to come up with a job title.
Base and derived job titles, variants of derived job titles
There are base and derivative job titles.
Basic job titles consist of one word that characterizes the typical type of work performed by the position. Very often the basic title is enough to correctly name the position. Examples of basic positions – director, secretary, archivist, designer, foreman, teacher, layout designer, etc.
Derived job titles, as a rule, consist of a base title that defines the type of work and addition words, and sometimes even phrases necessary to identify the position. With the help of additional words, the nature of the performed labor function is described, the specialty or specialization, the field of activity, mode and (or) place of work, etc. are indicated.
Complementary words can appear at the beginning of a job title (“sales manager”), in the middle (“deputy director of management”), or at the end of “CFO”).
What variants of derived job titles are most often used in practice:
- Titles indicating in the title of the job the content of work and/or functions performed, for example, CFO, Marketing Director, Estimating Engineer, Financial Controller, Health and Safety Engineer, HR Inspector, Mathematics Teacher, procedure nurse, payroll accountant;
- Names indicating belonging to a particular department, the name of which contains the functions performed by the position, for example, the controller of the technical control department, the head of the marketing department, the head of the school, the secretary of the sales department; kindergarten manager, HR manager, branch manager, etc.;
- Titles indicating the status of the position about other positions that are similar in the content of the work performed, for example, General Director, Deputy Director, Senior Accountant, Lead Engineer; assistant director;
- Titles indicating the job function performed by several positions at once, for example, layout designer, driver-forwarder, engineer-economist, educational psychologist, etc.
It is quite possible to combine the listed options.
Rules for the use of individual words in job titles
In addition to complying with the general requirements for the euphony and easy pronunciation of job titles, you should follow some more recommendations:
- It is undesirable to use job titles that include, in addition to the base name, more than three words, including prepositions, as well as the use of foreign words and/or abbreviations.
- When defining a job function for two or more positions, the name can be established:
-for one of the positions, taking into account the largest share of work performed;
-as a double title of the position (“forwarding driver”).
At the same time, the duties assigned to the employee for each of the positions should be related in content, equal in complexity, and the level of qualifications of the employee. “Dentist” is definitely not good for anything.
- The word “deputy” is used for positions that are introduced to fulfill the duties of the relevant manager in the event of his temporary absence (vacation, illness, dismissal), or the performance of certain work related to the management of a department or enterprise – you need to indicate which ones. Do not forget that, you can conclude a fixed-term employment contract with deputy managers, as well as establish a longer trial period and dismiss on special grounds. If you do not use the word “deputy” in the title of the position, then the application of the above labor law norms to it may be challenged – “financial director” or “commercial director” is not formally deputy managers.
- The word “chief” in combination with an indication of a profession, specialty, or position indicates that the employee is a manager responsible for a certain professional direction and area of activity of the enterprise (chief accountant, chief engineer).
- The addition word “leading” is used when the position is assigned the functions of a manager and a responsible executor of work in one of the activities of a structural unit, or responsibilities for coordination and methodological guidance of a group of executors.
- The use of the addition word “senior” is possible provided that the employee, along with the performance of the duties stipulated for the position held, manages the subordinate executors. A position with the derivative “senior” can be established as an exception and in the absence of performers in the direct subordination of the employee, if he is entrusted with the functions of managing an independent section of work. For professional positions for which qualification categories are provided, the official title “senior” is not applied.
- The basic title of the position “engineer” can be used only in cases when a specialist needs engineering knowledge in the volume of higher education to solve problems arising from the nature of production or type of activity.
- The base job title “manager” is used in conjunction with derivatives that describe the function, job, or division.
- The basic title of the position “assistant” is used to designate positions related to the performance of general work on behalf and under the direct control of the head of the organization or with the performance of part of the work entrusted to the head of the organization (specialist), as well as individual service assignments under the direct control of the head of the organization (specialist). As a supplement, the full name of the position of the manager or specialist is used.